These are delicious sugar cookies. The texture is incredibly soft but still firm when they are shaped into larger balls. I should call them maple syrup cookies because it is the main sweetener. However this is not a very sweet cookie, if you want it sweeter I suggest adding 1/2 cup of white or brown sugar. I was hoping that the maple flavor would come out more in the cookie, but it doesn’t! I am a maple syrup fanatic though, I drink it straight from the jug when I am looking for a hit of sweetness.
This is a recipe I already have talked about on this blog. Its so good that I use it as a base for other cookie recipes. So here is the recipe for Cinnamon Pecan Sugar Cookies based on the Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe by Nicole on Rolling Out Dough.
- 2 cups Gluten Free Flour ( refer to my favourite here)
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 4 tablespoons Fine Granulated Sugar or Powdered Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Vegan Margarine
- 1 Large Egg, beaten (this should be at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and blend until well combined. If you have a mixer drop butter by tablespoons into the dry ingredients until dough has formed into little balls.Add the egg and vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overwork gluten free dough. Scrape sides of bowl with spatula and form dough in a large ball.
- Put parchment paper on a baking sheet and grab a large hunk (such technical terms) of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Place a pecan half on each cookie and pat down slightly.
- Bake for about 7-8 minutes, maybe longer but you know your oven watch it. Cookies should be a light golden brown on the bottom. They should be moved to a cooling rack immediately.